colossal adj : so great in size or force or extent as to elicit awe; "colossal crumbling ruins of an ancient temple"; "has a colossal nerve"; "a prodigious storm"; "a stupendous field of grass"; "stupendous demand" [syn: prodigious, stupendous]
EtymologyFrom French colossal, formed from Latin colossus, from Greek κολοσσος (originally used by Herodotus in reference to statues in ancient Egyptian temples).
- extremely large or on
a great scale
- A single puppy can make a colossal mess.
EtymologyFormed from Latin colossus, from Greek κολοσσος (originally used by Herodotus in reference to statues in ancient Egyptian temples).
Colossal, meaning "great in size", could refer to:
- Colossal squid*Colossal Boy*Colossal Cave Adventure*The Amazing Colossal Man*Colossal magnetoresistance
- Colossally abundant number*Colossal (band)
- Colossal Youth, the Young Marble Giants' debut and only L.P.
- Super Colossal, a 2006 album by instrumental rock solo artist Joe Satriani*Cleveland Colossal Convention
- Colossal Cavern, Kentucky
- "Colossal Natural Bridge", nickname for archaeological site of Ndaxagua, in Mexico*Colossal Onion
Atlantean, Brobdingnagian, Cyclopean, Gargantuan, Herculean, Homeric, Olympian, abysmal, aerial, airy, altitudinous, amplitudinous, ascending, aspiring, astronomic, astronomical, awe-inspiring, awesome, boundless, bulky, cosmic, cyclopean, dominating, elephantine, elevated, eminent, enormous, epic, ethereal, exalted, extensive, extraordinary, galactic, gangling, gangly, gargantuan, giant, giantlike, gigantic, haughty, heroic, high, high-pitched, high-reaching, high-set, high-up, huge, immeasurable, immense, incredible, infinite, jumbo, king-size, lank, lanky, large, leggy, lengthy, lofty, long, long-legged, mammoth, massive, massy, mighty, monster, monstrous, monumental, mountainous, mounting, outsize, outtopping, overgrown, overlooking, overtopping, overwhelming, prodigious, profound, prominent, rangy, sizable, soaring, spacious, spectacular, spiring, staggering, statuesque, steep, stupendous, sublime, superlative, supernal, tall, titanic, topless, toplofty, topping, towering, towery, tremendous, unbelievable, uplifted, upreared, vast, voluminous, weighty, wonderful